The Association of Sports Institutes in Asia
Background of the ASIA
- The Association of Sports Institutes in Asia (ASIA) is a non-profit-making and non-government organisation; it is a representative body of various high performance sports institutes in Asia to create networks to develop sports in Asia.
- It was founded in February 2015 by the Japan Sport Council, Sport Singapore, Aspire Academy (Qatar) and the Hong Kong Sports Institute.
- There are currently 20 member organisations from 16 countries/regions in Asia.
Background of the ASIA Annual Congress
- The ASIA has held the Congress annually since 2016.
- The goal of the annual congress is to explore ways to better collaborate across Asia, to provide an opportunity for sharing of best practices and for professional development of the leaders of high performance training centres.
- The annual congress has been held on five occasions. The year and location, and the host and organiser of each congress are listed in the following table.
Edition Year Location Host 1 2016 Tokyo, Japan Japan Sport Council 2 2017 Hong Kong, China Hong Kong Sports Institute 3 2018 Singapore Sport Singapore 4 2019 Doha, Qatar Aspire Academy 5 2021 Online Japan Sport Council